- Wildlilfe Sites Officers
Tel: 01234 364213
Click here for enquiry form
|Focus on hay and meadows|
Leaflets and handbooks
- BCN Wildlife Trust’s leaflet on lowland meadows
- BCN Wildlife Trust’s leaflet on lowland calcareous grasslands
- The Lowland Grassland Management Handbook – a joint initiative between The Wildlife Trusts, Natural England, the Countryside Council for Wales and Scottish Natural Heritage. The handbook covers topics such as grazing, mowing and cutting, scrub management, grassland creation, weed control and management for specific species assemblages. It is divided up into 17 chapters which can be viewed individually on Natural England’s website.
- Natural England have produced ‘The Scrub Management Handbook: Guidance on the management of scrub on nature conservation sites’
- For information about control of weeds, please see the weed management page.
Match making service
- Hay and meadow matchmaking service is provided by this website. If you are in need of hay for your grazing animals, have hay to sell or have a meadow that needs to be cut for hay, please click here.
- Video produced by the High Weald Meadow Initiative in Sussex on managing a hay meadow.
|Basic Payment Scheme update|
Paper forms have now been made available for farmers and agents to apply for the new Basic Payment Scheme and the deadline has been extended by a month to June 15. The announcement was made after the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) failed to bring the online system up to full functionality in time to meet the application deadline. The online system will only need to be used for registration. For more information about submitting your claim by June 15 click here.
|Bedfordshire’s 2014 Wild Places Newsletter|
As 2014 is drawing to a close, I thought it was time to produce the sixth ‘Wild Places’ newsletter. This newsletter is produced specifically for owners/managers of wildlife sites in Bedfordshire. The latest edition includes articles on the Rural Development Programme update, traditional orchards, the forthcoming BSBI Plant Atlas 2020 and more. I hope you find it interesting.
|Flora Locale Training Workshops 2015|
Flora Locale are offering a programme of training and demonstration events. Read more
|BCN Wildlife Trust Training Courses|
The Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire is offering a series of training workshops in 2015. These range from species identification to habitat management and practical conservation. Read more