- Grazing licence example - provided by BCNP Wildlife Trust. We recommend that a grazing licence or approved agreement is issued between the land owner/manager and the grazier for the period requiring grazing.
- BCNP Wildlife Trust’s leaflet on conservation grazing
Match making service
Grazing and land matchmaking service is provided by this website. If you are in need of land for your grazing animals or vice versa, please click here.
- Breed profile handbook available from the Grazing advice Partnership (GAP) website
- Dartmoor Pony Heritage Trust website
- Riggit Gallaway society website
- Rushmere Alpacas website
Identification, movement and tracing of animals
- Business Link provide detailed but easy to follow guides on their website. These guides are recommended if you are new to keeping farm animals and or not sure exactly what you are expected to do to meet the regulations.
- Defra provide information about livestock movements, identification and tracing for cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, deer and horses on their website.
- Information about electronic Identification (EID) for sheep can be found on Defra’s website.
- Information about cattle identification and movement can be found on Defra’s website.
Movement forms and movement record keeping
- Trading Standards are responsible for the enforcement of a wide range of legislation relating to agricultural holdings and the keeping of livestock. This work includes animal movement and record keeping. For more information, for example, about what this means, how to get copies of the licence forms and movement record book, contact details for your local trading standard office, click here.
Farmed animal welfare during transportation
- Business Link provide detailed but easy to follow guides on their website.
- Business Link provide detailed but easy to follow guides on controlling animal diseases, disease prevention, disease notification and restrictions, dealing with animal by-products and fallen stock on their website.
- Defra provide a list of animal diseases and how to spot them. This includes information about Bluetongue, BSE, Equine Infectious Anaemia, Foot and Mouth, Scapie and Tuberculosis on their website.
- Leaflet produced by BCN Wildlife Trust on ‘pasture management for horses and wildlife.’
- 'Paddocks for ponies and biodiversity' leaflet produced by Flora Locale -available on their website
- Leaflet produced by the Chilterns Conservation Board on land management for horse owners
- The Alternative Veterinary Medicine Centre (AVMC) website has information on pasture Management (horses and Ponies), poisonous and unfriendly plants, herbs for pasturelands and much more on their website. This website is produced by Chris Day, a veterinary surgeon, based in Oxfordshire.
- British Horse Society website.
- Book - Managing Grass for Horses: The Responsible Owner's Guide by Elizabeth O’Beirne Ranelagh.
Leaflets and handbooks
- BCN Wildlife Trust’s leaflet on lowland meadows
- BCN Wildlife Trust’s leaflet on lowland calcareous grasslands
- BCN Wildlife Trust’s leaflet on conservation grazing
- The Lowland Grassland Management Handbook - a joint initiative between The Wildlife Trusts, Natural England, the Countryside Council for Wales and Scottish Natural Heritage. The handbook covers topics such as grazing, mowing, scrub management, grassland creation, weed control and management for specific species assemblages. It is divided up into 17 chapters which can be viewed individually on Natural England’s website.
- Natural England have produced 'The Scrub Management Handbook: Guidance on the management of scrub on nature conservation sites'
- For information about control of weeds, please see the weed management page.
Match making service
Grazing and land matchmaking service is provided by this website. If you are in need of grazing animals to graze your land or vice versa click here.
Business Link - www.businesslink.gov.uk/farming
East of England Grazing Forum - www.grazingforum.co.uk/
Defra - www.defra.gov.uk
English Beef and Lamb Executive (Eblex) - www.eblex.org.uk/
EU's Rural Development Policy - www.ec.europa.eu/agriculture/rurdev/index_en.htm
Floodplain Meadows Partnership - http://www.floodplainmeadows.org.uk/
Go Grazing - www.go-grazing.com
Grazing Advice Project (GAP) - www.grazinganimalsproject.org.uk
National Farmers’ Union (NFU) - www.nfuonline.com
National Sheep Association (NSA) - www.nationalsheep.org.uk
Natural England - www.naturalengland.org.uk
Rare Breeds Survival Trust (RBST) – www.rbst.org.uk
Sheep Keep - www.sheepkeep.co.uk
Small Shepherds Club - www.smallshepherdsclub.org.uk
Small Farm Forum - www.smallfarmforum.org.uk/
Soil Association - www.soilassociation.org/
The Sheep Trust - www.thesheeptrust.org
TwoMills herd (riggit gallaway, red gallaway and wiltshire horns), Bury St Edmunds - http://www.twomills.weebly.com/